Mexican moles (a traditional chile-roasted sauce) are made with dozens of ingredients and take all day to prepare. But, this non-traditional green mole (or mole verde) comes together quickly with in season baby spinach and pistachios. Serve it with chicken or roasted vegetables.
- 4 tbsp. olive
- 1/4 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 poblano or pasilla chile, sliced
- 1 guero chile or yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup finely diced tomatillos
- 1 cup roasted shelled pistachios
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup fresh hoja santa leaves (or tarragon)
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
In a pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the chiles and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatillos and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 8 minutes.
Add 2/3 cup water and the pistachios and simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and transfer to blender along with herbs and spinach. Blend until smooth, about 3 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
Serve alongside roasted chicken or vegetables, rice and tortillas.